How to delegate successfully
Every manager must delegate, but delegating successfully is an art. Frank Wu, chancellor and dean at the UC Hastings College of Law, offers six helpful tips:
• Delegate work that someone else can truly own. Don’t just foist off your own to-do list.
• Don’t micro-manage a project once you’ve delegated it.
• Give clear and precise instructions.
• Delegation only works when you have people you can count on. Make sure your team is strong.
• Trust your teammates.
• Know when NOT to delegate. Some work — whether because the outcomes are so critical, or the nature of the work so complex — should stay in the manager’s hands.