7 questions to guide decision-making
As a team, you never want to enter the decision-making process blind. Without enough due diligence, a clear sense of goals, and shared decision-making criteria to serve as a guidance system, the team could lose time and belief stumbling between options without direction.
Use a question and answer method to establish guidelines for how your team makes decisions. Get the team together to answer the following seven decision questions. For each “no” answer, brainstorm a way to get to “yes.” Then move on to the next one.
- Do we agree on what we’re trying to decide?
- Are we clear on when the decision needs to be made and by whom?
- Do we have enough information to decide?
- Do we know what criteria we’re using to decide?
- Have we played out the pros and cons of each choice?
- Do we have a hunch?
- Have we determined what will be required to make this decision stick?